ARCTIC MISSION FULL COLOR LOGO Transpare

TOGIAK

Togiak is located at the head of Togiak Bay, on the shores of the Bering Sea. It is 67 miles west of Dillingham by air and about 400 miles west of Anchorage. It lies in Togiak National Wildlife Refuge, and is the gateway to Walrus Island Game Sanctuary. Togiak’s average summer temperatures range from 37 to 66 degrees F. The only way to reach the village is by mission plane from Dillingham. In 2009, a new church and parsonage was built and as a result, we have been blessed to have consistent volunteers in the community.

Lynette and John Goude are one of Arctic Mission Adventure's more "seasoned" volunteers as they have served the village of Togiak since August 2015.  Lynette works as a Special Education Aide for the Bristol Bay School District while John is the Fab Lab Coordinator for the Togiak Traditional Council.  Their passion is ministering to the youth of their village. For the past several years, the Goude's have been able to rally resources both within Alaska and the Lower 48 and send youth to the Alaska Camps program in Aleknagik.  They also host several youth-focused events throughout the week; many evenings you can find kids from around the village visiting at the Goude home.

Lynette & John Goude

VOLUNTEERS

Goudes 3x3.jpg

Costs Include Transportation

Weekly Youth Night ($7,700)

Send-a-Kid to Camp ($530 each)

Cargo Storage Container ($2,500)

Parsonage Furniture ($3,500)

Radio Station Programming Upgrade ($15,800)

Young Adult Camp Polaris Week ($280/each)

Volunteer Support, i.e., utilities, ongoing housing costs ($12,000)

Can You Help?

IMMEDIATE NEEDS

_MG_8120.JPG

In 1880, Old Togiak (or Togiagamute) was located across the bay and had a population of 276. Heavy winter snowfalls made wood-gathering difficult at Old Togiak, so gradually people settled at a new site on the opposite shore, where the task was easier. Many residents of the Yukon-Kuskokwim region migrated south to the Togiak area after the devastating influenza epidemic in 1918-19. A school was established in an old church in 1950. A school building and a National Guard armory were constructed in 1959. Togiak was flooded in 1964, and many fish racks and stores of gas, fuel oil, and stove oil were destroyed. Three or four households left Togiak after the flood and developed the village of Twin Hills upriver. The city government was incorporated in 1969. 

Source: DCRA Portal

ABOUT TOGIAK

IMG_8395.JPG