ARCTIC MISSION FULL COLOR LOGO Transpare

SELAWIK

The first contact was in 1949 when the Nome pastor discovered an interest in the Sabbath by a Native living here at the time.  In 1986, there were 36 Selawik Natives who dedicated their modest, but attractive place of worship.  Presently there are 10-12 people who worship in the church.  There is a comfortable parsonage and church for volunteers as well as a broadcasting radio.  AMA volunteers, José and Edna Estrella have an ongoing food ministry.  In 2018, Alaska Camps hosted a day camp with plans to continue in 2019.  The ministry is growing and there are two immediate needs: raise the parsonage off the ground and renovate the interior of the church so that there is space to accommodate meetings.

In the summer of 2017, Jose and Edna drove from Michigan to Alaska.  During their travels, they stopped by the conference office to get a Pathfinder patch for a relative.  After a short conversation with conference staff and 72 hours of miraculous signs, they knew God was calling them to serve in Alaska.  Seven short months later, they made Selawik their home.  Arriving in winter, with Edna forgetting her winter boots, she wrapped plastic wrap around her legs and the two of them set out to meet their neighbors.  Just over a year later, they are accepted members of the community and have grown to love their new home.  They are excited to see God continue to work miracles in Selawik.

Edna & Jose Estrella

VOLUNTEERS

Estrellas 3x3.jpg

Costs Include Transportation

Food Bank ($7,200)

Children's Ministry Program ($4,000)

Snowmobile & Four-Wheeler Storage ($5,000)

Level Parsonage due to Flooding (tbd)

Greenhouse (tbd)

Volunteer Support, i.e., utilities, ongoing housing costs ($12,000)

Can You Help?

IMMEDIATE NEEDS

Savoonga Xmas 2.JPG

Lt. L.A. Zagoskin of the Imperial Russian Navy first reported the village in the 1840s as "Chilivik." Ivan Petroff counted 100 "Selawigamute" people in his 1880 census. Selawik is an Eskimo name for a species of fish. Around 1908, the site had a small wooden schoolhouse and church. The village has continued to grow and has expanded across the Selawik River onto three banks, linked by bridges. Selawik incorporated as a first-class city in 1974 but in 1977 changed to a second-class city government.  Selawik is an Inupiat Eskimo community active in traditional subsistence fishing and hunting. 

Source: DCRA Portal

ABOUT SELAWIK

Savoonga3