Savoonga is located on the northern coast of St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea, 164 miles west of Nome and 39 miles southeast of Gambell. The island has been inhabited for the past 2,000 years by both Alaskan and Siberian Yup'ik Eskimos. A tragic famine in 1878-80 severely reduced the island’s 4,000 population. The Adventist work began in the late 1930s-early 1940s through teachers working in local schools. From their efforts, along with support by the Alaska Mission, a small group of believers was established in Savoonga. By 1972, a small chapel and parsonage had been built. Today conference holds an Arctic Camp Meeting each year in Savoonga. Volunteer Elouise Hawkes has become an AMA ambassador as she shares her village experiences with those in the “Lower 48”.